For your furniture, being invaded by water is the worst thing that can happen. Not only are they infested by wood eating bacteria and pests, the wood soaked in water tends to rot faster making it much easier for the furniture to be damaged. The problem is, try as we may, there are certain instances that will always get us by surprise. One of them is flooding. The least you can do is try to save your furniture from getting exposed to the water for too long to save their integrity. Also, there are a number of tips that you could use that could make the process more beneficial and reduce the extent of the damage. Here are some of those other tips.
Know your furniture
You first goal would be to understand your furniture in the event that you had not taken a point to do so in the past. In an ideal scenario, hardwood is much easier to restore than soft wood and especially when the exposure time has been significant. It takes more time to penetrate to the core of the wood hence the damage is reduced. Also, if the furniture has varnish, it takes time for the water to penetrate. It gives you more time to be able to salvage your beautiful pieces. These are some of the things you should look at to be able to assess if the pieces are salvageable in the first place.
Clean the wood
The next and immediate thing that you should do is clean the furniture. You can use a garden hose for this. The goal is to get as much sediment off the furniture as possible. Once you have done this, you need to make sure that the furniture does not start harboring mold and mildew. For this, make a solution of 10% bleach and 90% water and mist the wood with the solution. Let it soak in before you then rinse it off with water. This should take care of the problem from within.
Dry the wood the right way
To most, this would be leaving the furniture at the mercy of the sun for long hours. This will not only make the restoration of the furniture harder, but it also warps and twists the components of the furniture damaging its look and functionality permanently. If you have to dry the furniture, you can do that by letting it sit in a shaded area with enough circulation of air. To improve on the drying time, you can use fans to improve the circulation of air.
The last tip on saving your furniture from a traumatic flooding experience is how you store it. If possible, this should be done in a climate controlled environment to ensure that you have the best possible chances of getting the furniture restored. You can then get in contact with a reputable furniture restoration company to get you through the rest of the way.
It is not really necessary for you to have to restock your furniture after a flood. By using these tips, you can be able to restore your old furniture to their past glory and continue using them for a long time to come.
Living in a smaller apartment can sometimes feel like you are confined in this place that you are unable to enjoy. However, even though living in a smaller apartment may feel so uncomfortable, there are still are certain things that you can do in order to make your living in a smaller apartment comfortable. Mostly, it has to do with furniture arrangement. Here are certain things that you should be aware of when it comes to furniture arrangement, especially if you are living in a smaller apartment.
1. You Don’t Have To Have Everything Compromise! Remember that word! You will have to compromise, you will have to work with what you have, and you will have to accept the fact that you won’t have enough space to have everything you wanted to have. For excaple, you can’t put egg chair replica in small room. Also, it goes without saying that you don’t have to have everything. If you are able to live with that, then you are pretty much able to live in a smaller apartment.
2. Take Measurements Sometimes will like certain furniture pieces so much, that we unfortunately don’t stop to think about the measurements – and it is extremely important! Make sure that you know the measurements of your place before you go shopping for furniture. Also, you should know how many inches or feet you should leave in order to be able to create unobstructed traffic through your home. Just make sure you don’t forget anything and you’ll be fine.
3. Determine Priorities So, if you have to cut out certain furniture pieces, make sure that you don’t choose to cross out a bed from your list. In other words, if you are grown-up you should be able to determine your priorities when it comes to furniture. Okay, so you might not have a large dining table, but you do have to have a bed! It’s okay to compromise, as long as you have your priorities in mind.
4. Try Out Different Arrangements If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again! So, if your furniture arrangement doesn’t really work for you, make sure that you try out a different one. Perhaps a different furniture arrangement will allow you to include all the furniture pieces that you have envisioned to have in your room, or in your home.
5. Multiuse A dining table can also be used as an office desk, a dining chair can also be used as a bedside to chair, or a coffee table! Make sure that you are creative when it comes to multi use of your furniture. Not only that this will allow you to make the most of your furniture, but also you will be able to enjoy your furniture pieces to the fullest!
6. Storage Space! Here are two words that are extremely important, especially when it comes to living in a smaller apartment. I could not emphasize with the words how extremely important it is the have enough storage space. The sufficient amount of storage space will allow you to lead a normal life no matter what the size of your home is.